Imagine for a moment that you type in your Website URL and you get an error message or worse there is ONLY a blank screen ….. And then there is silence …. Next comes panic. Do you have a back-up of your WordPress Website?
OMG NO, now what do you do?
Many good hosting providers make regular backups of their servers, some offer a Website back up service for a fee and some for free. If you are lucky, their support team will help you get your Website back online with the latest backup. BUT not all web hosting companies do this.
Safe guard yourself and be prepared
Back-up your Website on a regular basis. This includes all files and the database. “How do I do this?” you ask. You can either use your Webhosting providers backup services, backup your files yourself through your cPanel or with FTP. If you have a WordPress Website, you can use a free WordPress plugin that makes a copy of your Website WordPress files and the database on a regular schedule that you choose.
Back-up your WordPress Website with a free plugin
I use a free back-up plugin called BackUpWordPress by Human Made Limited. It will save a backup of your WordPress website files and a copy of the database. If the total file size is small enough, it will send you the zip file via email. If its larger, it will email the link to download the zip file of the backups. You click on the link, it will bring you to your WordPress Dashboard and you download your backup zip file to your computer. It’s that easy!
How to download the backup plugin?
- Login to your WordPress Dashboard.
- Find and click on “Plugins” on the left side.
- Choose “Add New”.
- In the Search Plugins box (right side), type in “BackUpWordPress”, and press Enter.
- Find the BackUpWordPress plugin by Human Made Limited and click the button “Install now”.
- It might ask you if you are sure you want to install the plugin. Click “OK“.
- The installing plugin page will appear. When the installation is complete, it will give you a success message of “Successfully installed the plugin BackUpWordPress”.
- Click on “Activate Plugin”.
- Go back to your Dashboard, find “Tools” on the left side. Then choose, “Backups”.
- Choose “+add schedule” to create the backup schedule of your choice. You will do this for both “Database only” and “Files only”. There is an option for both, but I have experienced problems with running the backups together. There fore I recommend running the backups separately.
- On the Settings page, choose “Backup: Database only” for the first scheduled backup.
- Schedule how often you wish to have your back up made. I recommend at once daily, depending on how often you add new content to your website.
- Type in a start time.
- Choose the number of backups to store on the server. To save space, I only keep the last 3 backups.
- Enter the e-mail address where you want your backup notifications and links be sent to.
- Press “Done”.
- Then, repeat the same steps for “Backup: Files only”.
If you would like help downloading and setting up this handy WordPress backup plugin, please contact me. I can also teach you how to take the backed up files and restore your Website. I only charge €20 per half-hour or €35 per hour of work. Set-up of the plugin takes less than 15 minutes. Restoring a Website from backed-up files can take 30-60 minutes, depending on the files sizes and the type of website that you have.